How To: Practice Safe Elevator Etiquette
Last updated on 06/03/2020
This guidance is not intended to replace policy or direction specific to your local government or institution. It has been written in alignment with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and public health recommendations. If you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, please follow the CDC guidelines.
- Wear a mask
- Load in a checkerboard pattern and maximize spacing (see graphic below).
- Face forward.
- Announce your desired floor.
- Have the person nearest buttons select for everyone, using knuckles
- No talking.
- Try not to sneeze or cough.
- If you must, turn toward wall and cough/sneeze into elbow with mask on.
- When door opens at floor, middle people move aside and front person moves out to create pathways to exit.
- For more detailed information, read one of our recent Op-Eds here.