How To: Wear a Mask
Last updated on 04/15/2020
This guidance is not intended to replace policy or direction specific to your local government or institution. It has been written in alignment with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and public health recommendations. If you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, please follow the CDC guidelines.
- Use a t-shirt or other cotton material (tutorial found here).
- Do not share masks within a household.
- Make sure it covers the bridge of your nose and cups your chin.
- There should be two straps, one above your ears and one below.
- To put on: use one hand to hold your mask in place and the other to put the strap over your head.
- To take off: don’t touch your mask! Remove using the straps.
- Wash your mask each time or, if you make multiple masks, let each one sit in a bag for 5 days before re-wearing.
- Donate unused commercial N-95 masks to front-line healthcare workers who need them most.
- For more detailed information, read one of our recent Op-Eds.